The Patriarch

Kelly Tan Sensei

Chief Instructor & Founder

Kelly Tan caught the martial arts bug early in his life. The history began when he was 15. Then living in a ‘kampong’, where electronic entertainment like the iPads and Playstations of today were not yet in existence, he set out to find something interesting to do, and chanced upon an old monk teaching Wushu to a group of his ‘kampong’ friends at a temple not too far from his home. He continued to train Wushu at the temple until the old monk’s passing two years later.

At 19 years of age, both his uncles thought that, as a young man embarking on his journey into adulthood, Kelly needed to have martial arts training to “toughen himself up”. One uncle was the late Chua Siew Heng, and the other uncle, was the late Teddy Lee Meng Kum; both of which many consider to be the pioneers of Aikido in Singapore. At the same time, after being encouraged by some of his friends, he took up Karate. And so Kelly was training in both Aikido and Karate until he reached his 30s, when advancement in his career was making it difficult for him to find the time to train in both martial arts. He gave up Karate.

On why he chose Aikido: “I like the non-aggressive nature of the art. There are so many variations to the simplest of techniques, and this keeps the art interesting. It is graceful and soft, which is important now that I am an old man at 65.” he quips.

Kelly’s interests are many, they include sailing, motor racing, golf and music. He used to be part of a Singaporean band in the 60s called The Meltones, and still actively plays music today.

 
There are so many variations to the simplest of techniques, and this keeps the art interesting.

kenshinkai 2014-08-23008.jpg

The Sage

Hironobu Yamada Shihan

Technical Advisor

Hironobu Yamada Shihan began his Aikido training in 1963 at Jiyugaoka Dojo in Tokyo under Hiroshi Tada Shihan.

In 1976, Yamada Shihan independently established his first dojo, "JAL Aikido Club", which held its trainings inside the Narita International Airport. Since then, he has gone on to establish more Aikido dojos in several cities in the Chiba Prefecture of Japan, such as Sanbu City, Tomisato City, Ichihara City and  Yachimata City. All of which are now under Hokuso Aikikai's umbrella, which he helms.

Yamada Shihan is also very well linked outside of Japan, with dojos from Russia, Holland, Brazil, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia and Sri Lanka.


Instructors & Assistant Instructors

THE "ANIKI" - SEAN WANG - 4th Dan A man of few words, Sean has the mysterious aura of a Zen master – nothing ever seems to faze him. What many do not know is that 99% of the time his mind is thinking blah, meh, why, huh, and food. And the other 1%? He’s probably asleep. But beneath Sean’s carefree facade is a burning passion for martial arts. Get him started on the topic and he’ll share happily his knowledge over a couple of drinks, or if you are lucky, he may even tell you a mythological tale.

THE "ANIKI" - SEAN WANG - 4th Dan

A man of few words, Sean has the mysterious aura of a Zen master – nothing ever seems to faze him. What many do not know is that 99% of the time his mind is thinking blah, meh, why, huh, and food. And the other 1%? He’s probably asleep. But beneath Sean’s carefree facade is a burning passion for martial arts. Get him started on the topic and he’ll share happily his knowledge over a couple of drinks, or if you are lucky, he may even tell you a mythological tale.

THE EQUANIMOUS - STANLEY ANG - 3rd Dan Having led a past life as a Jedi Master, Stanley has an uncanny ability to turn any object into a weapon of mass destruction. It's no coincidence that his weapon of choice is the 'Bokken' (wooden sword) and he answers questions with iconic quotes from the Jedi Order. Watch him transform into yoda-mode as he instructs on the ways of the force and guides students on the path to 'lightsaber' (weapon) mastery.

THE EQUANIMOUS - STANLEY ANG - 3rd Dan

Having led a past life as a Jedi Master, Stanley has an uncanny ability to turn any object into a weapon of mass destruction. It's no coincidence that his weapon of choice is the 'Bokken' (wooden sword) and he answers questions with iconic quotes from the Jedi Order. Watch him transform into yoda-mode as he instructs on the ways of the force and guides students on the path to 'lightsaber' (weapon) mastery.

THE CONSIGLIERE - MICHELLE LIM - 4th Dan Also known as the 'Big Sister' figure of Kenshin-Kai, Michelle is the go-to person for all our needs. Having problems with the techniques? Just ask Michelle. Forgot to bring your weapons? Michelle’s got it. Need help with your travel itinerary? There’s Michelle, our unofficial travel planner. What about lunch? Michelle says: Go get your own.

THE CONSIGLIERE - MICHELLE LIM - 4th Dan

Also known as the 'Big Sister' figure of Kenshin-Kai, Michelle is the go-to person for all our needs. Having problems with the techniques? Just ask Michelle. Forgot to bring your weapons? Michelle’s got it. Need help with your travel itinerary? There’s Michelle, our unofficial travel planner. What about lunch? Michelle says: Go get your own.

THE BANNERET - SHAMUS CHAN - 3rd Dan You’ll come to know Shamus as a poker faced instructor but fear not, it only happens when he comes in contact with the dojo mats. Out of the mats, he is an easy going guy and a fun Dad.

THE BANNERET - SHAMUS CHAN - 3rd Dan

You’ll come to know Shamus as a poker faced instructor but fear not, it only happens when he comes in contact with the dojo mats. Out of the mats, he is an easy going guy and a fun Dad.

THE PERCIPIENT - YEOH KIAN BOON - 2nd Dan Kian Boon looks like a badass when dressed as a biker, but he is actually Mr. Nice Guy at heart. A food enthusiast with an undying love for all things edible, Kian Boon is infamous for his ability to charm anyone into giving him an extra-large serving of his (food) order. Needless to say, his hobbies include breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

THE PERCIPIENT - YEOH KIAN BOON - 2nd Dan

Kian Boon looks like a badass when dressed as a biker, but he is actually Mr. Nice Guy at heart. A food enthusiast with an undying love for all things edible, Kian Boon is infamous for his ability to charm anyone into giving him an extra-large serving of his (food) order. Needless to say, his hobbies include breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

THE PHYSICIAN - CHARLES ONG - 3RD DAN A General Practitioner by profession, his affable and genial nature makes him popular with his patients and fellow Aikidokas alike. But behind this amiable persona hides an avid golfer with lofty aspirations of one day becoming Singapore's Arnold Palmer.

THE PHYSICIAN - CHARLES ONG - 3RD DAN

A General Practitioner by profession, his affable and genial nature makes him popular with his patients and fellow Aikidokas alike. But behind this amiable persona hides an avid golfer with lofty aspirations of one day becoming Singapore's Arnold Palmer.

THE STALWART - PATRICK CHAN - 2nd Dan The pillar of the Chan family and a staunch supporter of his sons’ endeavours, Patrick’s idea of a perfect day includes spending time with his family and chasing his active and cheeky granddaughter all over Singapore’s playgrounds.

THE STALWART - PATRICK CHAN - 2nd Dan

The pillar of the Chan family and a staunch supporter of his sons’ endeavours, Patrick’s idea of a perfect day includes spending time with his family and chasing his active and cheeky granddaughter all over Singapore’s playgrounds.

THE “KID-GLOVE” - ERWIN YUHANIS - 1st Dan Erwin is a child trapped in an adult’s body. He dreams of world domination and having his own Lego army of hybrid ninja-pirates someday. Plus a couple of robots for good measure. When he’s not busy building his Lego empire, Erwin can be found training his pet, Kitara, to become the world’s first Kitty Aikido-ka.

THE “KID-GLOVE” - ERWIN YUHANIS - 1st Dan

Erwin is a child trapped in an adult’s body. He dreams of world domination and having his own Lego army of hybrid ninja-pirates someday. Plus a couple of robots for good measure. When he’s not busy building his Lego empire, Erwin can be found training his pet, Kitara, to become the world’s first Kitty Aikido-ka.

THE SHEPHERD - LOW DANLI - 1st Kyu Danli is a hopeless romantic whose capacity for watching cheesy romantic flicks can only be described as superhuman. She loves to watch birds fly across the sky and thinks it's poetry in motion. Danli hopes to be able to fly too, but in a plane, to Paris where she’ll sit at one of their quaint little cafes and people watch all day long.

THE SHEPHERD - LOW DANLI - 1st Kyu

Danli is a hopeless romantic whose capacity for watching cheesy romantic flicks can only be described as superhuman. She loves to watch birds fly across the sky and thinks it's poetry in motion. Danli hopes to be able to fly too, but in a plane, to Paris where she’ll sit at one of their quaint little cafes and people watch all day long.

 

The Calvary

An integral part of the Aikido Kenshin-Kai family, these individuals not only support the Instructors and Assistant Instructors during classes, they also aid in fostering a positive culture in the dojo. But perhaps their most important task is to help answer whimsical questions our playful children Aikidokas will often ask.

In the team are: Alex Tan, Eugene Ang, Jonah Chan (Aikido Tai Shin Kai), Goh Chen Chen, Dorothy Barrett, Joanna Loy,  Prashan Ravindran, Douglas Chow and Don Tong.